Sunday, July 18, 2021

Kanika Nagarajan – Birder and Nature Photographer of Chennai

Kanika Nagarajan has been birding for close to 4 years. She has captured more than 450 species of birds through her lens and is still going strong. Let us know more about Kanika’s birding journey.

Kanika Nagarajan

1. How did you get attracted to birding? Who helped you?

A lot of my colleagues and friends are good birders. I used to be fascinated by their bird photography. Some of them have been birding for more than 10 years. So, I used to accompany such birding groups that had mentors and that is how I started birding. I also love to travel and freeze the moments for memories’ sake.

2. Where was your first birding?

My first birding was at Hebbal Lake, Bangalore.

3. What camera are you using?

I use a mid-range Canon camera with a tele zoom lens or birding lens. Gear doesn’t matter. How, where, and how much time you spend learning about a species is what matters most. 

European Bee Eaters 

                                       

4. What are the common birding places in Chennai. What other birding locations have you visited apart from Chennai in India?

In Chennai, I usually do birding at Pallikaranai marshlands, Pulicat lake, Sholinganallur marshlands, Korattur lake, and Nemam lake.

In Bangalore, I do birding at Hebbal Lake, Hoskote Lake, Hessaraghatta Lake, Nandi Hills, and Anekal lake.

In Rajasthan, I did birding at Bharatpur which is a birder’s paradise. Have visited Bikaner and Tal Chappar.

In Kerala, I did birding at Thattekad. In Karnataka, I have done birding at Kaveri Wildlife Sanctuary, Coorg, and Kundapura.

Red-headed Bunting

5. Are there any disadvantages if you are a female birder?

Yes. Sometimes, I would like to go alone and do birding at my own pace. But, some places are not safe. There may be anti-social elements. Moreover, the responsibility to take care of my children is always on my mind.

6. Which is your favourite bird?

Owls fascinate me. I have so far photographed 12 species of owls. 

Spot-bellied Eagle Owl

7. Do you have any interesting anecdotes during your birding?

Our normal cars are not suitable for birding near lakes. Once when I was birding in Thenneri lake in search of pratincoles, my car got caught in slush. It was a scary moment for me and I felt totally helpless as I was alone with no one around for miles together. Then finally with the help of my friend, my car was pulled out with a tractor.

8. Does birding need the approval of forest authorities?

There are reserve forests that protect vulnerable species and maintain biodiversity. Sometimes, we could be at risk from wildlife and also wildlife could be more at risk from us. So, it is safe and ethical to take the approval of concerned forest authorities. The birding guides take care of getting the permissions.

Indian Scops Owl

9. What are hides used for birding and why do you avoid those?

Hides help the photographer to be unnoticed by the birds under camouflage. I have not used hides as I enjoy walking in the habitats in the wild. 

10. You have brought out a calendar with your bird photographs for the year 2021. Can you tell us more about it?

Yes. The calendar has six photographs taken by my birding buddy Smitha Rao and six photographs taken by me. We wanted to see our photographs in print. And a calendar was a good idea so that I could gift it to friends too.

Crab Plover

11. You say that you are more of a birder than a photographer. Why so?

I like to enjoy looking at the birds in their natural habitat, discover rare species, and soak in birding with just binoculars. I enjoy walking in nature and it is more of stress relief for me. I also take my daughter along with me to make her more conscious of the gift of nature to us.  

Eurasian Hobby

12. Do you wear any special costume while going for photography?

When walking in marshlands, river beds, and the wild, it is good to wear boots up to ankle length as you may accidentally step on small creatures, snakes, and poisonous insects. You have to wear clothes that blend with the environment. For example, you can wear green shades for a forest, and blue or muddy shades when you go near a waterbody. Never wear bright colours.

Kanika Nagarajan

13.  Can you tell us more about Lifers in birding?

Lifer is when you see a bird species for the first time.

14. What are your plans for birding in the future?

As far as possible, we should not disturb a bird. I’m planning to move towards just using binoculars to observe my favourite birds in their habitats.  

Kanika’s Instagram ID is @kanikanagarajan

Photo Credits - Kanika Nagarajan

9 comments:

BHASKAR said...

Excellent..

Dhanapal said...

Lovely

jessi said...

Super
Congrats and keep going
Good luck

Unknown said...

Wonderful, learnt something new today. Good job.

Unknown said...

Congratulations, good ones 👏👍

maithreyi said...

Very inspiring Kanika

Mani M said...

Your doing great, all the very best

Unknown said...

Nice madam .....

Anitha said...

Thank you, All.

- Anitha