Friday, July 23, 2021

Interview with Lunch Artist Revathi Sampath

Every Friday, Revathi is busy making lunch art for her girl twins Riya and Dia. But, what is lunch art? Revathi makes different designs with food in lunch boxes or plates. Let us hear from Revathi about her creative journey with lunch art.

Revathi Sampath with her Twin Girls

1. How did you get the idea of making lunch art?

When schools were open, one day my twins got bored of getting ready to go to school. So, I told them I will make a nutritious lunch box for them with the Peppa Pig theme. I made my first lunch art in 15 minutes. When I showed my twins the Peppa Pig-themed lunch box, they happily carried the lunch boxes and went to school. In the Peppa Pig lunch box pic below, you can see the yams shaped as pigs at the top of the box.  

Peppa Pig Theme Lunch Box 

2. How did everyone in the school react to the Peppa Pig food design lunch box?

The Peppa Pig lunch box was an instant hit at the school. Teachers and even school van drivers started to talk about the creative food design. The teachers then spoke with me and said that every Friday I should create this type of food design lunches. The teachers took photos with the lunch art boxes and it became very popular in the school. Now, due to lockdown, I am doing the food design in plates instead of lunch boxes.

3. Can you explain the different food items used for this plate theme of Daddy bear and Child bear?

The different food items used for this plate are bears made of tamarind rice. Corn and peas were used to make the tree. Kiwi fruit was used for the wheels. The carrot was used to make the cycle seat and handle and cheese was used in the ears. Beans were used for the road and groundnut for the sand or ground.

Daddy Bear and Child Bear 

 4. What are the common ingredients you use for food designing in the lunch boxes.

There is usually a main dish like tamarind rice, noodles, spinach roti, dal rice, bread, or beetroot roti. These make up the carbohydrate component of the food. Then, I add food items like peanut sundal, chenna sundal, paneer, and cheese to make up the proteins. I use vegetables like carrot, beans, cucumber, potatoes, and fruits like apples, mangoes for the vitamins and mineral components. Every lunch box or food plate has the required amount of carbs, proteins, fat, and vitamins. I use a combination of both cooked and uncooked food items like a carrot.  



5. How long does it take for you to make one lunch art? Is any food item difficult or easy to design with?

I take 1 to 1.5 hours to make one lunch art. Lunch art is my passion and I never found it difficult. Each lunch art I enjoy doing and it gives me immense pleasure.  

6. How do you get ideas for design?

I plan the previous day. It sometimes depends on what the girls read on a particular day. Other times, the food designs match the event or mood of the day. For example, if it is raining, I design the food as a girl on a rainy day.

Girl on Rainy Day Theme made with Khandvi

7. Are you inspiring mothers with your lunch art?

Yes, I share the pictures of the lunch art box on my Facebook page RevsPassion and Instagram page @revspassion_creative. I also write about the different food items that make up a theme/design. Mothers in my apartments and also at school follow the food items in one lunch art box and give it to their kids the following day. It is like a quick menu for them to prepare nutritious food. One friend made cake design like my lunch art. 

Hairstyle made with Noodles

8. I’m sure you must be an artist that does sketches or drawings too.

I loved crafts from my childhood. If we went to a temple and came back, I would immediately start drawing all that I saw. But, when I was young, art products like crayons were not easily available.  Later, I wanted to take up fashion designing, but could not pursue it due to different reasons. Now, I have the time and independence to explore my passion. All my artwork is self-taught. When I was in the US, I used to make clay dolls and terracotta jewellery.

 9. Have you conducted any training in lunch art?

Yes. I have conducted training for small groups and helped them to create small food designs. They all made cute designs with cutters.


10. Was there any international recognition for your Lunch art?

A Japanese TV channel saw my lunch art on Instagram and asked me to participate in their bento boxes competition. I uploaded my lunch art to their website to compete. Bento box is a Japanese concept similar to lunch box art. Apart from that, the popular Lunch Box Dad Beau Coffron, who is in America, follows me on my Instagram page. That is great recognition for my lunch art. However, I always admire the Indian food portion control and follow our ancestors when I design my lunch art. Indian food is the healthiest among the different foods around the world.


11. Would you like to take up paid partnerships in the future where your designs match some corporate logo or product?

I would definitely like to try out such partnerships if I get a chance.

Revathi Sampath

Revathi need not worry about not becoming a fashion designer. Now, she is a food designer and an excellent one too. When I saw all her creative food designs on her Instagram page @revspassion_creative, I could not take my eyes off them. Hats off to Revathi!

Revathi's Lunch Art Instagram Link: https://instagram.com/revspassion_creative?r=nametag

Revathi's Lunch Art Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/Revspassion/

Few more pictures of Lunch Art by Revathi Sampath from Chennai: 

Eiffel Tower made with Dosa, Chocolate Syrup, and Chutney


House made with Bread

Giraffe made with Lemon Rice