Sunday, April 17, 2022

Interview with Heritage Storyteller Aafreen Fathima

Aafreen is a heritage storyteller, artist, and architect who lives in Royapuram, Chennai. Let us hear about her storytelling and other art experiences.

Aafreen Fathima - Heritage Storyteller


1. Tell us about the travelling and stories you listened to at your younger age that acted as a motivation for your current heritage storyteller role.

My mom was from Hyderabad. And Dad was from Chennai. So, we kept travelling between the 2 cities for family functions. My father runs a metal fabrication company. Whenever he went on business trips, we went along with him. I have travelled to almost all the states in India. My dad not only took us to interesting places but told stories about the places we visited. So, when we went to Mysore and Srirangapatna, he told us Tipu Sultan stories. My grandfather also told stories about long-forgotten spots in Chennai. For instance, he spoke about the spot near the high court where Emden came in a ship and bombed the place during World War 1. Many others were not aware of such stories. People who live in Georgetown itself don’t know. I found there was a lack of awareness of places in their own area. But, people have to travel with awareness. 

2. How did your B.Arch help you in your interest in discovering new places and art?

During the B.Arch course, we travelled to a lot of places for projects and documented them. We went to Kumbakonam, Kanyakumari, Karaikudi, Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Ahmedabad, Patna, and many more places. Of these, I really enjoyed discovering the Pol housing in Ahmedabad.

Because of the course, I started sketching. Computer drawings and drafts were available, but sketches show a more realistic view and increase the interest in the place. Many people asked, is this place in Chennai when I shared some of the sketches in my insta handle ninetyeight._

High Court - Sketch by Aafreen

3. Can you tell us something about Namveedu Namooru Namkadhai?

Namveedu Namooru Namkadhai is a community started by architect Thirupurasundari who is a conservation architect. She found me through Instagram. I have done some workshops, heritage storytelling walks, and quizzes in association with them.

For one of the walks in Georgetown, we first talk about Georgetown. Then we walk from building to building and talk about them. We share stories about the places and people. There is tangible heritage like buildings that we can touch. Intangible heritages are stories and songs about the places. For example, in Royapettah there is a place with 1000 parrots. So, this is a living heritage. Mylapore is famous for its music and kutcheris.



4. How do you explore the rare heritage sites in Chennai? Do you have a team that helps you?

I explore different places by myself. Sometimes, I go along with the community. Once we identify a good place, we go to libraries and collect information and stories about that place. We also check the old photo archives.

 5. Tell us about your postcard workshops.

Recently, 10 of us women went to Thamarai House, a Kerala-style heritage house near Alamparai Fort. I hosted a postcard workshop. Each person had to draw one object that attracted them in the place on a postcard. We used micron pens for the outline so that it does not smudge when we paint colours on it. All the participants enjoyed making the postcard. One of them drew a Kathakali dancer, another the house front view, and some even plants. Even people who could not draw that well came out with something very artistic. You can send these postcards to your friends as a remembrance of your travel to that place. Or post it to yourself.

Postcards at the Workshop

6. Tell us about your role in Madras Inktober in 2020 and 2021.

Two of my architects-cum-artist friends Srishti P and Prathyaksha Krishna Prasad and I came out with the concept of Madras Inktober. Throughout October, we would give a prompt in social media for each day of the 31 days of the month. Artists would draw anything in Madras that matches the prompt. For example, for the prompt development, I sketched the Mint Clocktower with the left half in beige and brown and the right half in pink and blue. If someone was consistent, we sent out merchandise such as postcards and stickers with a Madras theme to them.

Inktober Prompt - Development - Mint Clock Tower by Aafreen

Inktober Prompt - Community- Sketch by Aafreen


7. Tell us more about the heritage walks you host.

We started with small groups and later moved to larger groups. There were places in Chennai that cried for attention but had so much of stories and history behind them. We visited places like the Parsi Fire Temple in Royapuram and Pachaiyappa’s School. It was not a business strategy to focus on heritage sites. But, it gave me a lot of happiness to bring to light the unknown and hidden heritage gems. 

Apart from heritage walks, we conduct workshops and teach them how to sketch. Some sketch sessions are directly in front of the buildings. Here we use a collar mike and speakers. Others are held in cafes such as PH café in Egmore.

Aafreen with her Sketches


8. Tell us about your 98 songs 98 days initiative.

My Instagram handle is ninetyeight._ because I was born in 1998. Based on the same idea, I decided to have 98 songs for 98 days. Each day, I would select a song and paint some part of the song. For example, I painted the India Gate for the Masakali Hindi song and embedded the song with that pic.

India Gate sketch for Masakali Song


9. What other heritage products do you sell?

I make stickers and sketchbooks of the heritage sites I sketch. I also sell colour prints of the heritage art I draw.

Heritage Stickers