Friday, January 13, 2023

Interview with PadmaVastra Boutique Founder Sundari Kumar

Sundari worked in IT for 19 years as a software professional. Now, she runs an online boutique PadmaVastra and sells garments. Let us hear from Sundari about her entrepreneurial journey.

Sundari Kumar - PadmaVastra Founder


How did you get the idea to start kurti, sarees, and salwar business?

I left my IT job as I wanted to focus more on family and parenting. I always had a passion to start a business and I had Food and Apparel business in mind. I chose the Apparel business after analyzing various risk factors. Initially, I wanted to start this as a part-time business to maintain a work-life balance. We started PadmaVastra operations on Feb 10th, 2021.

Why did you name it as PadmaVastra?

I wanted to combine the names of my mother Padma and my late mother-in-law Vasantha. I considered it a blessing to have their names for my new venture. After trying out different name combinations, we narrowed down on Padma Vas. And then included tra as Vastra means cloth in Sanskrit. And finally arrived at PadmaVastra.

Kurti designed by PadmaVastra


As you were new, who guided you initially in this business?

During the pandemic time, I saw online businesses growing. I got inspired by a few of the entrepreneurs who sell via YouTube Videos.

So initially, I wanted to start online. I started on a small scale and learnt on the job through trial and error. My husband gave me confidence and asked me not to overthink. He said that I can plan things as the business grows.

What is the process you follow from purchasing from wholesalers to selling to customers?

I always wanted to give quality products to customers. So, I decided to shortlist the suppliers based on quality. We visited many suppliers and manufacturers and took product samples from them. As a next step, I try the dresses personally.  Once I am satisfied with the quality, I do a bulk purchase from them. When they become a trusted supplier, we proceed to buy in bulk from them.

Next, I do photoshoots of the kurtis and salwar sets and post them online on WhatsApp and Instagram. Since it is an online sale, the customers buy the product only when they gain confidence about the product’s quality. Hence, I need to supply additional details of the product such as fabric feel, color, size details, etc over the conversation. Once the customer expectations match, the payment is done and the dress is shipped to their address. The return option is available. If the product has a defect or if the product did not meet expectations, the same can be exchanged in 3 working days.

I encourage walk-in customers, who want to feel and buy the product. The stocks are at home, and my friends and many customers visit us and do the purchase.

Kurti designed by PadmaVastra


Do you custom design dresses?

Yes. Only a few of the readymades we buy from wholesalers. The remaining maximum number of dresses we design and manufacture. I have a collaboration with a Tailoring cum Embroidery Unit, where I do my custom designing and stitching.

Our specialization is hand embroidery work, and they are our fast sellers too. Our key differentiator is manufacturing Minus and Plus Size Dresses as per the needs of the customer for our boutique-designed dresses. We also do customization as per the request from the customer, e.g., change of sleeve size, neck pattern, etc. Being a woman, I can put myself in their shoes and feel their discomforts and problem. They also share their requirements with me transparently.

Video of PadmaVastra bulk orders for a dance school: 



What research work do you do for your business?

The competition is high in this segment of the business. Unless we are different, we cannot impress our customers. I visit various exhibitions and stalls to understand and compare products in the market. This helps me to design unique collections that can attract my customers. I keep myself updated about the different types of fabrics, styles, designs, trends, fashion, and more to sustain in this competitive market.

Kurti designed by PadmaVastra


You participate in a lot of exhibitions. How do you get the information and how do you prepare?

We have an entrepreneurs’ network. They share exhibition organizers’ contacts.  Sometimes, organizers contact us through Instagram or common business friends. There will be a fee to participate in an exhibition. Participating in exhibitions is more like a marketing activity for us.

Sundari at an Exhibition


How is your family supporting you in the business?

My family is behind my success. My husband supports all aspects of my business and constantly motivates me. He helps me to identify new suppliers and new products. He supports me in the exhibitions. My daughters help me with photoshoots of products, editing, and publishing videos. My mom offers advice on back-office tips and business strategies.

Salwar designed by PadmaVastra


Do you belong to any women entrepreneur’s group that supports you?

Yes, I do. I am a part of the Kadaiveedhi group for women entrepreneurs. The Smart Mommies Facebook group has 50,000 members. And the Business Magnets Facebook Group has 12,000+ members. I sell and buy in both these groups. 

What advice would you like to give to new women entrepreneurs?

The first step will be the toughest. Never give up! Never feel low for a bad day in sales. If you persist, you will make improvements every day.

Kurti designed by PadmaVastra

What are the advantages of being an entrepreneur?

I’m the king of my business and workday. I feel confident and happy when I take all the decisions. I am able to plan my day as per my wish. Now, I’m able to spend time with my family whenever I need. When I get positive feedback and compliments for our products, I feel excited and it drives me to achieve more!

PadmaVastra Instagram Handle: @padmavastra

PadmaVastra WhatsApp number: 9042725882

Email: padmavastra2021@gmail.com

We wish Sundari and PadmaVastra stupendous success in the coming years 😀

Kurti designed by PadmaVastra


3 comments:

Vijay said...

Super 👏🏼

Vijay said...

The biggest plus is her presentation of the dresses - every Ins and Outs of them explained in words.
Easier for us to decide.

Gayatry said...

Always feel comfortable shopping with her. She has varieties which will suite for everyone. The research she does on quality/variety of material and designs is amazing.