Saturday, August 21, 2021

Tips from Media Expert Jyothi Srinivas

Jyothi Srinivas has worked in the media for more than 20 years. She has worked in TV, FM Radio, OTT, and is now busy with FB Live shows, podcasting, screenplay writing, and movie reviews. Let us hear more about her journey in the media field and get some valuable tips.

Jyothi Srinivas

1. What are the challenges you faced when you worked in Radio media for close to 14 years and were also the Regional Programming Head for South Zone? How did you overcome them?

When I started working at BIG FM in 2006, FM was very new. People listening to FM were very few. People were glued to the TV during those times. So, shifting the audience to FM was difficult. We focused on the drive time of people between 5 pm to 8 pm as our prime time. After 8 pm people start watching television serials.

Apart from fixing the primetime, we did research and consumer home visits (chv). We introduced marathon RJ sessions that went continuously for 100 hours with people like Sekar Basha and Dheena.

To improve interactivity, we gave refrigerator, car etcetera for people who answered correctly the song names and GK questions. We had a program called ‘Kaivaitha Car’. Whoever stands keeping their hands on the car for the longest time in a mall wins the car.

We also introduced several awards and I was the creative concept designer for movie awards, Big Music Awards, and Television Awards.



2. During the lockdown, you interviewed a lot of candidates for your Facebook page Jyothi Studio Live. Can you tell us more about it?

I wanted to bring real-life heroes to the show. People who changed people’s lives for the good. The program was named “Be the Change.” Every live show with a guest was for 30 minutes. I interviewed doctors, psychologists, book authors, NGO founders, storytellers, and many more. I also interviewed quite a few people who started businesses during the lockdown and made money in a short time. Overall, I have had more than 250 guests on my live show.

For this program, getting the right guests was a challenge. I wanted people who really made a positive impact on society. So, at times, I had to refuse some people who wanted to be guests.



3. You have done Podcasts on various apps. Can you tell us more about Podcasting?

In podcasting, you can be yourself. Whatever you want to tell or express you can do. For people who want to take up podcasting, I recommend them to choose a subject in which they are experts or have vast knowledge. Don’t try to be someone else during a podcast. Otherwise, you will run out of content in a few sessions. Do what you know. Don’t learn a new subject and do podcasting on that subject. For example, I cannot do podcasting about Robotics.

People can ideally do Podcasting 3 times a week. They have to hook or capture the audience in the first 10 seconds, just like how a radio RJ does. There are many podcasting formats. The very successful podcasting format is storytelling.


4. Have you trained people on Podcasting?

I have trained 60 to 70 people on podcasting. I have conducted the sessions in Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, and English. Many people who learnt Podcasting from me have started their podcasting sessions on YouTube etc. I teach about various things like, for example, montage which is the sound that comes before your podcast, or underlay music which is the background music when you talk and other speaking techniques.   

5. Which media platform do you like the most? Why?

I like Social Media and Over-the-Top media (OTT). In social media, you can freely express yourself. OTT gives opportunities to a lot of new talent who have a low budget. A lot of new directors and producers get a chance to showcase themselves in OTT.

With actor Amala 

6. What equipment and software do you use for your live shows?

I use StreamYard software for the telecast. You can simultaneously telecast on 3 or 4 platforms using StreamYard. The telecast quality of StreamYard is better than Zoom. I use a normal blower mike and a lapel or collar mike. I use two ring lights and a 1 KV light.

During live shows, the laptop or mobile must be kept at eye level or 1 inch above eye level.  You have to select a proper table and a tripod.

8. Was there any communication from Facebook when you telecasted live shows on your FB page almost every day?

Six months after continuously telecasting live shows from my FB page, FB contacted me. FB gave ideas to increase viewers, select a suitable time for the program, and recommended localization of content.

9. What is the toughest part when you are a media programming head? What is the easiest?

Managing people is the toughest part. Around 80 people were reporting to me from across the different South States. The time split was like 60 percent for managing people and 40 percent for content and creativity.

The easy part was understanding the market and getting numbers. When I was working during 2018, Big FM was No 1 in Bangalore and No 2 in Hyderabad.



10. Can you recollect any funny incidents when working in media?

Every day at work was fun. But, I can recollect a specific incident after an award function. My teammates and I went to a hotel at midnight and had dinner. The final bill came to more than Rs.12,000. I did not have my card with me. When we pooled in all the cash, the amount was around Rs.5000. My husband was out of the city and I could not call him for help. To pacify the server, I handed over my bracelet to him. The next day I went and paid the money and collected my bracelet. This was a funny as well as embarrassing event.



 11. What is your advice for women who want to work in media?

Working in media is not a cakewalk. Initially, people will take you for granted. There are no holidays and no time for family and friends. There is time only for hard work and more hard work. Women should not be bothered about what others will talk about them. Men who are older than you don’t like to report to you. If women give instructions, they may call you bossy. Media is a Men’s world. So, a woman being a leader is very difficult. But, women should be consistent in their work quality and output. Women have to groom themselves. I used to read a lot of books by Jay Shetty to stay motivated and positive.


12. You have done certification in counselling psychology and are counselling people also. What are a few of the tips you would like to share about life?

Self-care is important. You have to find happiness in small little things. Ultimately, relationships and people bring you happiness. But, you have to choose the right people. You have to be with positive people.  Avoid people who always put you down. Remove toxic people from your life no matter how long you know them or how close you are. 

Interview with Team Everest NGO Founder Karthee Vidya for 'Be The Change' program.

 

 Fun Times at Work: 



Visit Jyothi Studio Live Page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JyothiStudioLive

Instagram Handle - @srinivasjyothi 

Visit ‘Be The Change’ channel on YouTube: 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbW5tzytf7mmxvcoxhgm4xw 

4 comments: